Friday 29 March 2013

#134: Achel Bruin

It's been far too long since I've had a Trappist beer, or even a really good abbey beer (come back to me St. Bernardus!) so to find a lonely bottle of Achel on the shelf of the Abbot's was truly a godsend, especially considering that I've never had it before. So, let's get to it.

Achel Bruin is the dubbel of the range, and pours very much like one. It's a rusted, dark ruby colour with a lovely smooth off-white head of tiny bubbles. The aroma is equally enticing, being sweet, malty, boozy and fruity in equal measures. However, it's not until you take the first sip that things really take off. But oh my, how they really take off.
Big woody malts open things up, with hinted toffee and caramel turning to the characteristic dark fruit and red berry flavours you'd expect from a dubbel. Raisins and green apple skins round things off, and the little kick of alcohol at the very finish does nothing to damage the flavour or drinkability of the beer.

I was expecting a good beer, and got a great one. This is a perfect dubbel, one that deserves to be enjoyed again and again. Hopefully I can source some more of this after the summer.

Next up is the Franciscan Well's Easter Beer Fest tomorrow, and it's about time for me to re-acquaint myself with the outside world of beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment