Tuesday 17 July 2012

#57: Beoir Chorca Dhuibhne - Cúl Dorcha

This is my second one from Beoir Chorca Dhuibhne, and I have to say I was pretty excited about it. I loved their Carriag Dubh porter, and with their location and size, I just have to love the guys. Surely this beer wouldn't let me down?

It might do.

The Cúl Dorcha pours a dark but crystal clear blood red, with a two to three finger off white head that doesn't last too long. The first thing I noticed on the nose was a slight smokiness that gave way to the fruitiness that otherwise dominates the aroma - red berries and green apple, with a touch of bitterness. Underneath there's a definite malty toffee backbone, but overall the aroma does little to excite me. On tasting, I get much more of the same. A balance of malty sweetness and hoppy bitterness with a touch of smoke and spice. Once again, nothing spectacular. 

Easy to drink but difficult to love, this doesn't go beyond being an average (or even below average) ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment