Wednesday 17 April 2013

#139: The Destrier's First Birthday

That's right, today marks twelve months to the day since I started this blog. In truth, my journey into craft beer began a good few months prior, with my first systematic tasting (and subsequent note-taking) happening just weeks beforehand. The blog had only seen nine months of existence when the Golden Pints rolled around at the end of last year, so I decided not to take part. As such, I present to you, here, my own abridged and altered incarnation of the 'awards' - I think it would be rather silly of me to do the whole shebang in April. These beers can of course be considered for the real Golden Pints at the end of the year, assuming they are still relevant.

So, how did the first year of the Destrier go?

Best Irish Beer - 8 Degrees Howling Gale Ale became my go-to beer for any occasion, both on draught and from the bottle. It's balanced and very drinkable, but it gets my love for being delicious and interesting every time. It's followed closely by the brewer's Ochtoberfest and Metalman's Windjammer.

Best Overseas Beer - This was always going to be tough one, with my top three or four favourite beers all coming from overseas. The plaudits have to go to Piraat, which filled me with liquid joy every time. Very closely followed by Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout - it's effect on my palate in making me love stouts was a very important development indeed, one that just gives it the edge over the Abt 12 and Rochefort 10.

Pub/Bar of the Year - Hands down the Abbot's Ale House. Always something interesting, always good value for money. Not to mention it's relatively regular carriage of Belgians like the Piraat and Abt 12 up there.

Best Beer Blog/Website - For making me want to start my own blog, The Beer Nut.

For what's left of this year I'd like to - Travel more/explore more beer while travelling, finally start homebrewing.

Thanks to those who read, and I promise I'll reward your patience by keeping updates fairly regular. No ghost blogs here, no siree!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out and happy blog birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and you're very welcome. Hopefully it'll last a good few years more. Cheers for reading

      Delete
  2. Professor Pie-Tin17 April 2013 at 18:56

    Congratulations on your first birthday - always refreshing to read a novice blogger before the inevtiable world-weary cynicism sets in.
    Although with so little daycent beer around here it's much easier to be grateful for small mercies.
    Agreed on both the Windammer and TBN - both reliably consistent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. World-weariness will come, don't worry. But to get weary of the world you must see it, and I can't quite afford that. Maybe Cork-weariness? And yeah, Windjammer would have been top had it been more readily available. Cheers for reading.

      Delete