Friday 26 April 2013

#143: Silly Stuff

I've seen this around quite a few times, but I've never thought to try it until now. Maybe my thirst for a strong Belgian ale has just been revitalised by the Abt 12 and Piraat, but this seemed a steal at €2.25 and 8% ABV. So much so, in fact, that I expected the worst.

Scotch Silly proved me wrong from the outset, though, with an incredibly malty aroma hiding notes of bitter and over-ripe fruit, with hints of toffee and chocolate in there too. It's deep and complex, and doesn't show any sign of the strong alcohol. The palate is more or less the same, but it brings a soft sweetness to proceedings, as well as a gorgeous vanilla flavour that covers the mouth at the finish. A beautiful beer and my first of the style, this could be called a malt bomb, but rather than the cutting harshness of a Doppelbock, it smoulders with the smoothness of a good Dubbel.

Highly recommended, especially if you can find it at a price like this. I'll certainly be stocking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment