Saturday 20 April 2013

#142: Beta

Another fantastic beer on tap at the Abbot's of late is the St. Bernardus Abt 12, another of my favourite beers of all time. Like the Piraat yesterday, this was a filled swingtop bottle.

It pours a dark, relatively clear ruby red, without the haze you get from the bottle conditioned version. The aroma is sublime, with rich, spiced rum-soaked dark fruits to the fore, and a brown sugar and molasses sweetness underneath. Over time, the beer warms up to produce a nice chocolatey malt character. The taste is equally as impressive, with the same complex mix of fruit, sticky malts, and a touch of spice. The green apple note I found in the bottled version is here too, and just like the nose, that chewy, chocolate toffee character just grows as time goes on.

I never thought I'd say this, but there's a chance this could overtake the Piraat at the top of my list. I guess I'll just have to try them side by side again.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment